Friday 19 August 2016

Language

I've noticed that society tends to have a negative view of using certain choice words. Words that, for some reason, cannot be used by children. Words that invoke a sudden silence once uttered. Expletives, vulgarities are just some of the words used to describe this category of words. But why are these couple of words, out of the hundreds and thousands of words deemed inappropriate for use? If language is a tool for one to express oneself, why is it that some parts of the tool cannot be used even when those parts are in perfect working condition? I have no qualms about using these so called "vulgarities" because I don't see them as taboo. I see them as words that I can use to express my emotions and states. I don't use them recklessly, for words carry meaning and I don't wish to commit multiple malapropisms. I choose my words carefully. I don't like to exaggerate, nor do I like to give unwarranted praise/criticism. But I mean my words. Every one of them. That could also be why people may think that I read into things too much. But it's just automatic.
But I digress. Yesterday, I was really frustrated with myself, stressed out and I said fuck. Which was normal. But what was weird was how my friends said, "That's the first time I heard you swear." But I don't understand. Why is it that this one word will cause my friends to stop and take notice(and silently disapprove), whereas other words are fine. Why do we criminalise words? What is the use of a tool if it cannot be maximised to its fullest potential?
So many questions, but I know I won't be getting many answers today. These questions aren't easy ones to answer. Because sometimes, there is no answer. Or the answer could very well be that these words are deemed taboo and nobody has dared to question them. Or those who did have not been able to convince the majority of society otherwise. 
That's just my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment