Saturday 27 August 2016

Decision making

  Just recently, I got myself a ticket for a solo trip. My first solo trip from start to finish, for my 21st birthday. I booked it on an airline that my parents don't have a very good impression of. As I already said, it's going to be a solo trip, something my parents aren't too keen on me doing. I know because I was almost going to do it during my 20th birthday, but they dissuaded me from doing it. I decided to listen to them, because the arguments they made then were logical and on hindsight, I think it was a good thing I didn't go. Half a year of living overseas has taught me so much more about planning trips, budgeting, getting used to cold climates etc. Had I gone during my 20th, I might have been ill-prepared for the trip.

  Initially, I was hesitant about booking it because I guess a part of me is still used to seeking approval from my parents before I do things. I asked my friends about the airline and I was just hesitating about booking the ticket.
Then, I talked to a friend and that conversation helped me realize that I have to stop seeking permission. I am an adult already. That means that the decision maker of my life is me. I have to stop seeking approval and getting other people to make decisions for me. From now on, decision making is my responsibility.

  So I readied myself to book. I filled in all the required details. I was apprehensive about clicking the "CHECKOUT" button. The thoughts: "Should I? Should I not?" kept popping up in my head. Then I took a deep breath, told myself "no regrets" and clicked the button.

  Hello, adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment